streaming

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Support for mp3 codec an Showcast protocol  (Read 4429 times)

• No avatar
May 26, 2013, 10:55:00 pm
Hello,

Have you thought about adding support for mp3 and Showcast in future versions?

Thanks

• No avatar
May 27, 2013, 01:48:20 pm
Hi,

this is a very common request and we often answer to this question. Basically, we are supporting two formats that are free. When i say free i mean we can use them and ship encoders for them without having to pay fees  for software patents. On the other hand mp3 and aac are patent-encumbered formats: mp3 software patents are expiring in europe, but the situation is not clear. At mp3licensing.com you can have a look at the patents they claim and the related fees.

I think Vorbis and Opus really outperform mp3 and partially aac on a quality base, specially at mid-low bitrates. So, what else i can say?

Shoutcast only supports mp3, aac and aac+. The reason we have no shoutcast support is that we are not supporting those formats. If shoutcast would support vorbis and opus, well, then we can support shoutcast too.

• No avatar
May 27, 2013, 08:31:53 pm
Hello, Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you mean, but I was asking because currently I think mp3 is the most common format and OGG support has some problems with some browsers.

It's a shame that my English does not allow me to explain myself better.

A greeting.

• No avatar
May 27, 2013, 10:06:16 pm
What you observe is true, that's a shame we cannot support mp3 and aac (and believe me they're both working fine in our internal test). The fact is that we cannot afford those fees. And that the industry is not giving up with those patents.

• No avatar
June 25, 2013, 02:30:14 am
dear Marco, with papaya audiobus lacked but we had mp3 and shoutcast, I acquired koalasan now, and I have audiobus, which I congratulate you, great for my radio broadcasts audiobus / koala&djay&efects
and now we have the mp3 format, not for me but for users who listen through the app as tunein, or firefox or chrome

• No avatar
July 29, 2013, 06:27:26 pm
Add my name to the list of those needing .mp3 support. I wont buy this app until it supports .mp3.  I purchased two copies of Papaya and it worked fine for a while, but now it seemingly just quit working.

You really should just license .mp3 and I would be willing to pay MORE for the app if it actually works with .mp3.

Thanks,
-Lee

• No avatar
September 26, 2013, 08:07:04 pm
Hi, you dont use the shoutcast transcoder ? I Connect to the dj port of the server using the AAC  encoder of Koalasan and the transcoder output in mp3 to all the listeners. I also use Tune in without problems.